How can I compute condition number

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 11:10:45 CDT 2006

On 9/24/06, Gong Ding <gdiso at ustc.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>    I meet some convergince problem with my
> semiconductor simulation code. I 'd like to check
> the condition number of Jacobian matrix. How can I
> do with PETSC?

The true L_2 condition number would involve a very large
SVD calculation, and thus is rarely computed. We do have
the option:

   -ksp_compute_singularvalues

which will give you the condition number of the Krylov matrix,
a low-dimensional approximation of your matrix. A very
convenient form of this is:

   -ksp_singmonitor

which includes this information in the KSP monitor.

--
"Failure has a thousand explanations. Success doesn't need one" -- Sir Alec
Guiness