MPI question

Berend van Wachem berend at chalmers.se
Mon Oct 16 01:34:33 CDT 2006

Hi Julian,

I am not affiliated to the petsc-team, but have been using petsc a
number of years.
The idea of MPI is that your whole program get executed on each
processor. So getting output twice on each processor is quite normal. So
not only PETSC functions are called by each processor, every command you
write will be called by each processor. Because variables have different
values upon each processor, you can imply slightly different behaviour,
or have each processor work on an own data set.

If you want output, I recommend you to use the PETSC functions for IO:
PetscPrintf, or PetscSynchronizedPrintf.

I found it helpful to read an introduction to MPI, "Using MPI" by Gropp,
Lusk, Skjellum.

Good luck,

Berend.