petsc object hierarchy

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Nov 22 14:35:54 CST 2006

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006, Yaron Kretchmer wrote:

> Thanks Matt.
>
> And Vec sits on top of BLAS/MPI ?

  Vec and Mat both talk directly to BLAS and MPI. It is rare that
PC talks directly to MPI/Blas, usually it goes through Mat. KSP, SNES
and TS hardly ever use BLAS/MPI directly, ideally KSP, SNES and TS will not
talk to BLAS or MPI directly at all.

   Barry

PetscViewers also talk directly to MPI (not blas :-)) and are used
by all the objects.