SNES Problem

Nils Erik Svangård nilserik at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 03:56:47 CST 2006

Ok, I managed to compile and link rk.c to my fortran program, I forgot
that in C you need a ;  in the end of every statement. (stupid mistake
;) )

I have just added one line to see if it works.

  /* computing new dt */
     dt = dt * dt_fac;

     /* Start Nisse stuff */
        ierr = PetscPrintf(PETSC_COMM_WORLD,"Nisse prints dt: %f\n",dt);
     /* End nisse stuff */

     if(ts->ptime+dt > ts->max_time){
        dt = ts->max_time - ts->ptime;
     }

I just try to print the current timestep, however this is never
printed. And I'm not really sure that it is the timestep that is
causing the problems.

I have used call TSGetTimeStep(ts,timestep,ierr) to monitor what
timestep TS uses and it seem ok. However after the first iteration of
FormFunction everything seems ok, but in start of the second iteration
all values are really strange.

I see the same thing when using SNES and my back euler implementation,
it iterate many more times however, but all of a sudden the all "in"
values are in the range 0.2-0.7 (for all 7 equations) and my code
bombs because of the strange values.

When using TS and  running with  -snes_mf -ts_type beuler -ksp_rtol
1.e-10 this is what printed just before producing strange values:
KSP Object:
  type: gmres
    GMRES: restart=30, using Classical (unmodified) Gram-Schmidt
Orthogonalization with no iterative refinement
    GMRES: happy breakdown tolerance 1e-30
  maximum iterations=10000, initial guess is zero
  tolerances:  relative=1e-10, absolute=1e-50, divergence=10000
  left preconditioning
PC Object:
  type: none
  linear system matrix = precond matrix:
  Matrix Object:
    type=mffd, rows=70000, cols=70000
        SNES matrix-free approximation:
          err=1e-07 (relative error in function evaluation)
          Using wp compute h routine
          Computes normA

And just to make sure that I havent misunderstood how SNES and TS work:
 If the original 3-stage RK uses (my numbering):
1.  RO0(L)=RO(L)
     Get_DRO(RO(L))
     RO(L)=RO0(L)+CFL*DRO(L)
2.  RO0(L)=.5*(RO0(L)+RO(L))
     Get_DRO(RO(L))
     RO(L)=RO0(L)+.5*CFL*DRO(L)
3.  Get_DRO(RO(L))
     RO(L)=RO0(L)+.5*CFL*DRO(L)

Then this should be in TS which should return du/dt which is DRO:
      RO(L)=xx(1,L)
      Get_DRO(RO(L))
      ff(1,L) = DRO(L)

And in SNES with back euler:
      (Old RO from previous iteration ORO(L)
      RO(L)=xx(1,L)
      Get_DRO(RO(L))
      ff(1,L)= RO(L)-OLD(1,L)-TSF(L)*DRO(L)

This became a long mail, I hope this shows if I missed something vital.
/nisse

--
Nils-Erik Svangård
E-Mail: nilserik at gmail.com