Gradient at ghost cells only?

billy at dem.uminho.pt billy at dem.uminho.pt
Sat Mar 4 19:09:36 CST 2006

Firstly, I would like to congratulate the PETSc team for such a great code!

I send you an image of my case (all indices are global). Ghost cells are in
yellow and white cells are the interior cells. To calculate the gradient at a
cell, I use the gauss theorem so I need all neighbor cells for that. The
interior points are easy I can calculate them each time in each processor since
I have a ghost cell layer. My problem is the gradient in ghost cells because I
need the values at pink cells but they belong to another process. I guess I
could include these pink cells also as ghost cells and then I would have access
to their values. Or I could calculate the gradient and exchange it through
processes using VecCreateGhost().

For now I have the code working because I only use these cell-centered gradients
for non-orthogonal corrections. So, if the grid orthogonal this term is zero.