Compiling with or without petsc

Laslo Tibor Diosady diosady at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 19 09:54:52 CDT 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to create a distribution  which can be built both with and
without petsc. The idea behind this is that when only running uni-processor cases
typically petsc will not be needed so that users do not need a copy of
petsc on their machine. I was wondering if  there is an easy way to detect
the presence of petsc on your local machine and if petsc exists have
a flag set which can be used in the makefile to comile with petsc. Also
would it be possible to find the top petsc directory and specity the
environment variables $PETSC_DIR and $PETSC_ARCH so that this does not
need to be done manually by the user.

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Laslo