divergence?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Feb 19 16:22:30 CST 2006

   Buket,

  ---Norm of residual=4.58868e+17

   This is usually indicative of a matrix with poor scaling or very small matrices
along the diagonal. I a very small pivot is encountered causing a "crazy"
preconditioner with tiny entries producing a really absurd preconditioned residual
norm (most likely the true residual norm is much more reasonable, use -ksp_truemonitor)
It has not converged.

    You can run (the latest PETSc 2.3.1) with -pc_factor_shift_positive_definite
to "damp the matrix used to construct the preconditioner to prevent zero or very small
pivots". For this size problem you also may as well just use the direct solver -pc_type lu

    Good luck,

    Barry