PETSc from python

Marek Wojciechowski mwojc at p.lodz.pl
Tue Aug 15 20:10:47 CDT 2006

>> > There are nice Python bindings from
>> >
>> >   http://lineal.developer.nicta.com.au/

I inspected a bit lineal but it also seems to be a work in progress...
There is no official release and the project is currently hibernated (as i
was told at their mailing list). The approach presented there is
interesting, but far from the python high level programming spirit (for
now). Instead, C constructs are used almost directly in python
interpreter. This has one advantage that the PETSc examples can be easy
translated to python.

For now I found that it is quite good idea to use PETSc python bindings
alongside with the parallelized python interpreter "bwpython"
(http://www.cimec.org.ar/python/python.html) and python mpi bindings
"mpi4py" (http://www.cimec.org.ar/python/mpi4py.html). I'm able now to run
interactive sessions with PETSc and I have also access to all MPI
functions which are not accessible from your PETSc bindings (AFAIK).

Greetings

--
Marek Wojciechowski