Performance issue with MatSetValues

Christophe Picard picard2 at llnl.gov
Thu Aug 10 16:39:24 CDT 2006

Hi,

I have a performance issue while trying to insert values in the a matrix. I am
using DMMG solver for cell-centered scheme in 3D from the petsc-snapshot to
solve a Poisson equations. Inserting coefficients in the matrix for dirichlet
or neumann boundary conditions, the insertion is instantaneous. But is I want
to insert coefficients for periodic boundary conditions, I can notice a huge
slow down in the insertion process (not in the resolution though).
The smallest size I can notice the performance drop is 32*32*32.

Is there any way to improve this?

col.i  = row.i+(mx-1);
col.j  = row.j;
col.k = row.k;

v[0] =  1;

MatSetValuesStencil(*A,1,&row,1,&col,v,ADD_VALUES);

Thans,

Christophe