My settings are overriden when I call the solver more than once?

Sh.M shma7099 at student.uu.se
Tue Apr 18 09:09:29 CDT 2006

Hi all,

I am solving a matrix with boomerAMG, and I set the boomerAMG settings
thru the console. The matrix(it is a preconditioner matrix) is solved
several times... I set the boomerAMG preconditioner/solver to have a
convergence tolerance of 1.0e-06 and max number of iterations 4. I print out boomerAMG status to
verify that it works as it should.. But for some reason it doesnt..

Here is a print from boomerAMG when it starts, I guess when it constructs
the boomerAMG solver/preconditioner:

.
.
.
.
.
.
BoomerAMG SOLVER PARAMETERS:

  Maximum number of cycles:         4
  Stopping Tolerance:               1.000000e-06
  Cycle type (1 = V, 2 = W, etc.):  1

  Relaxation Parameters:
   Visiting Grid:                     fine  down   up  coarse
            Number of partial sweeps:   1     1    1     1
   Type 0=Jac, 1=GS, 3=Hybrid 9=GE:     3     3    3     9
   Point types, partial sweeps (1=C, -1=F):
                               Finest grid:   1  -1
                  Pre-CG relaxation (down):   1  -1
                   Post-CG relaxation (up):  -1   1
                             Coarsest grid:   0

Immediately after the above message, wich is when it starts to
solve, it changes its parameters to this:

BoomerAMG SOLVER PARAMETERS:

  Maximum number of cycles:         10000
  Stopping Tolerance:               1.000000e-05
  Cycle type (1 = V, 2 = W, etc.):  1

  Relaxation Parameters:
   Visiting Grid:                     fine  down   up  coarse
            Number of partial sweeps:   1     1    1     1
   Type 0=Jac, 1=GS, 3=Hybrid 9=GE:     3     3    3     9
   Point types, partial sweeps (1=C, -1=F):
                               Finest grid:   1  -1
                  Pre-CG relaxation (down):   1  -1
                   Post-CG relaxation (up):  -1   1
                             Coarsest grid:   0
.
.
.
.
.
.

As you see my settings have been changed.

I have used boomerAMG in the past, not exactly this way.,... but my
settings were preserved before and after solve.

here is what I run from the command line:

mprun -np 1 petscSolver
-a ../hypre/data/nr_hvl40.csr
-b ../hypre/data/nr_hvl40.csr.blockMatrix -inner_ksp_type richardson
-inner_pc_type hypre -inner_pc_hypre_type boomeramg
-inner_pc_hypre_boomeramg_max_iter 4
-inner_pc_hypre_boomeramg_tol 1.0e-06
-ksp_monitor
-ksp_type gmres
-inner_pc_hypre_boomeramg_print_statistics

And a piece of code:

.
.
.
.
.
.
BLOCK_PC  user_pc;
,
,
,
,
,
.
KSPSetOptionsPrefix(user_pc.block_solver,"inner_");
KSPSetOperators(user_pc.block_solver,user_pc.M,user_pc.M,DIFFERENT_NONZERO_PATTERN);
KSPSetFromOptions(user_pc.block_solver);

I am running on solaris64.

With best regards, Shaman Mahmoudi