[Petsc-trilinos-discussion] Status update, summary remarks

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 25 17:53:48 CST 2013

   DOE ASCR has asked us to do two things:

    A) maintain a dynamic, future oriented research program in algorithm and software techniques for HPC that can quickly respond to hardware changes and

    B) provide software stable (and quality) enough to be used by a variety of scientists/engineers on long term projects with very varying software skills and perverse predilections

   To first order I would say that PETSc and Trilinos have had slightly different user bases

    * Trilinos - largish groups that often have strict regression tests and that are cautious about “unneeded" change to the code base

    * PETSc - small teams, 1-5+ people that can afford to be a bit more adventurous and are often constantly refactoring their own code base

   Thus we have developed different techniques for issues such as back-ward compatibility and reproducibility. We have each developed approaches that are most in line with our perception of what our users need.  For example, our time line for change is different, for example in PETSc we think supporting an old API (that has since been updated) for a year is long enough for our users to “catch up”.

    Now DOE ASCR would like us to also do:

    C) insure that several groups doing A and B each provide something that can be used TOGETHER by again "a variety of scientists/engineers on long term projects with very varying software skills and perverse predilections”.

     Given enough money we could certainly do C, but could we continue to do A within whatever strictures C induces? Or will doing C have to cause delays in A or be almost separate projects from A?

     I personally think that the reason DOE ASCR HPC software libraries are fairly good at particular things is because DOE ASCR has taken a largely hands off approach and allowed each group to experiment with a variety of approaches and not imposed a one-size-fits-all model of software development on us. I would like us to come up with something that accomplishes A, B, and C but does not impose a one-size-fits-all model because I believe that as soon as the one-size-fits-all model is in place A goes out the window.

  Barry