[Petsc-trilinos-discussion] Status update, summary remarks

Lois Curfman McInnes curfman at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 25 16:43:31 CST 2013

My take-aways from today's chat with Thomas:

The main deliverable that ASCR wants from us in this current project is a (short) document that provides a long-term vision for interoperable use of a variety of high-performance scientific software.   ASCR's primary concern is for us to develop a document that could be used as a starting point for engaging the broader DOE/HPC community in determining approach that would enable the combined use of lots of different HPC software over the long term.  To get started, Mike and I will iterate with Thomas to come up with a set of basic requirements/principles at a sufficiently abstract level to help nail down the scope more specifically.  And then we can further evolve this and all contribute to fleshing out long-term vision ideas.

The recent discussions about concrete issues in the combined use of PETSc and Trilinos are indeed a valuable exchange of information --- useful for at a practical level for existing apps and future plans.  However, tackling current interoperability challenges in existing codes and other near-term issues is not ASCR's priority in this particular assignment (though of course those issues inform the vision -- and we might want to pursue that to some extent as a separate activity outside the scope of the longer-term vision project).

Best,
Lois