[Petsc-trilinos-discussion] Scope and requirements

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Nov 21 18:35:17 CST 2013

  We are not here to debate the merits of any of our choices. Rather we are here to understand the commonalities and differences and see what we can do to address the concerns of the DOE program managers and DOE simulation community. If we argue over who is right and who is wrong and try to convince each other to switch to the “right” way we’ll just go down an unproductive rat hole.

   PETSc has two mailing lists petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov (private) and petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov (public) were we can help people with the issues of 1) using PETSc with a separate Trilinos build (in theory this is trivial) 2) initializing PETSc properly for runs on subset of processes (again in theory this is trivial) and 3) how to manage “viewing” information about various sub solvers so that they are not “contaminated” by output from other parts of the code. I hope you can send questions/bug reports to these lists so we can help you sort out these issues. Frankly I am a bit concerned that since they are issues that concern PETSc users we haven’t been contacted to determine how to deal with them, we answers questions from users all over the place who have no relationship to DOE and certainly want to provide the same level of help for DOE users. So please if you have these difficulties with PETSc let us know on either the private or public mailing list and we’ll help you.

   That said, the “interoperability” issues that Roscoe brings up are important in the abstract and we should discuss them (just not as a “you guys are doing it wrong” argument.)

   Barry