[Petsc-trilinos-discussion] Scope and requirements

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 13:41:01 CST 2013

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Bartlett, Roscoe A. <bartlettra at ornl.gov>wrote:

> Matt,
>

> But someone would have to physically modify one or perhaps two of the
> three APPs in the three-APP scenario mentioned in the below slides and
> paper right?  If the breaks in backward compatibility are significant, who
> is going to upgrade APP1 and APP2 to the current version of Library A (or
> at least the one currently used in APP3)?  If the core developers for APP1
> and APP2 are not part of the project to couple these with APP3, then who is
> going to make those mortifications to APP1 and APP2?  How can  they safely
> make those changes if they are not the core developers?  Will those
> mortifications make it back into the master sources for APP1 and APP2?  If
> the breaks in backward compatibility are minor, then what is the big deal
> in maintain backward compatibility over longer periods of time?   However,
> if the breaks in backward compatibility are significant and the behavior of
> the software changes a lot (even for the better), then that can result in a
> lot of work to upgrade the (likely poorly designed) test suites of these
> APP codes.  How can this work in practice?

This relates to my point 3. We do not change our interface based on the
external package, so no problem.

> As for the code GAMG to replace ML, should we tell the LANL Hydra-TH
> developers to stop using ML under PETSc and use GAMG instead?  Will they
> get the same or better performance in all cases?  Will this change their
> solutions requiring them to re-verify their entire test suite?  If the
> answer is yes to any of these, this will be a harder sell.

If their test suites are based upon convergence to a given tolerance, as
all parallel tests must be, then everything will be fine.

BTW: The guidelines you list below for smoothing the breaks in backward
> compatibility are important, but that does **not** negate the advantages
> in maintaining contiguous sets of releases that maintain backward
> compatibility when considering larger software ecosystems.  Those measures
> just make it less painful when you do finally break backward compatibility
> but that change still requires careful manual changes to the code, usually
> by the core developers of the user code.

I have never been convinced of the merits of versioning. It always creates
more problems than it solves, as evidenced by this thread I think.

   Matt

experiments lead.
-- Norbert Wiener