[Petsc-trilinos-discussion] Scope and requirements

Bartlett, Roscoe A. bartlettra at ornl.gov
Thu Nov 21 11:05:17 CST 2013

Okay, so I have some concrete use cases from the CASL VERA effort that I am involved with that has issues with PETSc and Trilinos.  We have a situation where we need to couple together multiple Fortran and C++ codes into single executables that use mixes of PETSc and Trilinos and it is a mess and not because of any interfacing issues really.  Here is why ...

The LANL code Hydra-TH is using PETSc and some old version of ML.  Therefore we can't even link Hydra-TH in with code that uses current versions of Trilinos.  We have not even tried to use the up-to-date version of ML under PETSc and to do so would create a nasty circular dependency in out build process the way it is defined now.  More on this issue below.

The INL code MOOSE with APP Peregrine (PNNL) uses PETSc with HYPRE.

We have two parallel Fortran codes using PETSc, MPACT (Univ. of Mich.) and COBRA-TF (Penn. State), that have overlapping sets of processes and they can't currently figure out how to initialize PETSc to work in these cases (they may ask for some help actually).  Also, what about nested PETSc solves from different applications?  What does that output look like if you could even get it to run (which they have not yet)?

The ORNL code  Insilico (part of the Exnihilo repo that includes Denovo) uses up-to-date solvers in Trilinos.

CASL VERA has a top level driver code called Tiamat that couples together COBRA-TF (which uses PETSc), Peregrine/MOOSE (which also uses PETSc/HYPRE), and Insilico (which uses up-to-date Trilinos).  In addition, it runs these codes in different clusters of processes that may or may not overlap (that is a runtime decision on startup).  The output from this coupled code dumped to STDOUT is currently incompressible.

As of right now, it is completely impractical to couple Hydra-TH into Insilico because of their use of PETSc and an old version of ML from Trilinos.  As a matter of fact, it is agreed by all parties that before that happens, Hydra-TH needs to either use only PETSc/HYPRE or Trilinos but no mixing the two at all.  It is recognized that changing Hydra-TH to use PETSc/HYPRE or all Trilinos will be a huge job because it will change all of their tests.  It will be a large amount of work to re-verify all of their Exodus-based gold-standard regression tests for a change like this (and so they have put this off for a year!).

Therefore, before there is any discussion of new fancy interfaces, we have to resolve the following issues first:

1) The current version of PETSc must be compatible with the current version of Trilinos so they can be linked in a single executable and we must remove link order dependencies.  Also, users need to know ranges of versions of Trilinos and PETSc that are link and runtime compatible.  The better that the mature capabilities in Trilinos and PETSc can maintain backward compatibility over longer ranges of time/versions, the easier this gets.  The ideas for doing this are described in the section "Regulated Backward Compatibility" in http://web.ornl.gov/~8vt/TribitsLifecycleModel_v1.0.pdf .  Also, PETSc should support dependency inversion and dependency injection so that people can add ML support into PETSc without having to directly have ML upstream from PETSc.  We can do this already with Stratimikos in Trilinos so we could add a PETSc solver or preconditioner (or any other preconditioner or solver) in a downstream library.  This is already being used in production code in CASL in  Insilico.  There is a little interface issue here but not much.

2) The user needs to have complete control of where output goes on an object-by-object based on each process, period.   Otherwise, multiphysics codes (either all PETSc or Trilinos or mixes) create incomprehensible output.  This also applies to nested solves (i.e. how does output form GMRES nested inside of GMRES output looks like?).  We have suggested standards for this in Trilinos that if every code followed would solve this problem (see GCG 18 in http://web.ornl.gov/~8vt/TrilinosCodingDocGuidelines.pdf ).  While this is not an official standard in Trilinos I think it is followed pretty well by more or less by the more modern basic linear solvers and preconditioners.  How do you allow users to customize how PETSc, Trilinos, and their own objects create and intermix output such that it is useful for them?  In a complex multi-physics application, this is very hard.

>From the standpoint of CASL, if all these physics codes used the more modern Trilinos preconditioners and solvers, all of the above problems would go away.  But that is just not feasible right now for many of the reasons listed above and below.

NOT: The reason the Fortran codes use PETSC is because Trilinos has no acceptable Fortran interface and you need to be a C++ programmer to write a customized Fortran to C++ interface to Trilinos.  And in our experience, if a programming team knows C++ in addition to Fortran, they would be writing a lot of their coordination code C++ in the first place where they could just directly be using Trilinos from C++ (and therefore no need for a Fortran interface for Trilinos).  The lack of a general portable Fortran interface to basic Trilinos data structures and other facilities makes every Fortran-only team go to PETSc.  That is a no-brainer.  But here-in we have the current status quo and why it is not feasible to switch all of CASL VERA codes over to Trilinos.

Therefore, I would say that before there is any talk of more detailed interfaces or interoperability between Trilinos and PETSc that we first solve the basic problems of version compatibility, dependency injection, and outputting control.  While these problems are much easier than the more challenging interfacing work, they will still require a lot of ongoing efforts.

Cheers,

-Ross