[petsc-dev] large cost of symmetrizing for GAMG?

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Sun Sep 18 12:00:31 CDT 2022

  I mean something very simple, track the number of iterations for each linear solve, how much do they jump when new matrix entries are introduced but the interpolation is kept the same. If they jump a lot then trigger the generation of a new interpolation for the next new matrix entries. Of course, the parameter "a lot" is tricky. But say one does ten solves with the same matrix and the iterations vary by a few percent, now one does a new nonzero entries and the iterations triple, that indicates a new interpolation is likely desirable.

  I agree the design space is large, a) when do you use the exact same preconditioner, b) when do you rebuild just the fine grid Chebshev eigen estimates, c) when do you rebuild the coarse matrices, d) when do you rebuild the interpolation, e) when do you rebuild the coarse aggregations? And it depends on the work needed for each each of these things, but since the code is running it has this work information; it knows how long each of these actions take.

 Expecting all users to have the knowledge you have of algebraic multigrid to tune is not practical, having no decision making in the code when to change these things leaves an enormous amount of performance on the table. A lot of the nonlinear PDE world does not "need" to use linear solvers, they will only use them when the expected benefits outweigh the increase in solution time and if the linear solves take too damn long due to lack of good tuning they will do something else. In other words each user should not need an algebraic multigrid expert consulting with them on every step of their project.