[petsc-dev] large cost of symmetrizing for GAMG?

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Sat Sep 17 12:43:05 CDT 2022

I don't see a problem here other than the network looks bad relative to the
problem size.

All the graph methods (PCGAMGCreateG and MIS) are 2x slower.
  - THe symmetrization must be in PCGAMGCreateG.
  - MIS is pretty old code (the algorithm and original code are 25 years
old)
RAPs are about the same.
KSPGMRESOrthog and MatMult are nowhere near perfect.

The graph setup work gets amortized by (most) applications and benchmarkers
that know how to benchmark, so it is not highly engineered like the RAP and
MatMult.
Note, this application is building the graph work for every linear solve.
I am guessing they want '-pc_gamg_reuse_interpolation true' or are doing a
single step/stage TS with a linear problem and AMR every time step, which
would be pretty pathological.
I'm doing an MR right now, maybe I should change the default for
-pc_gamg_reuse_interpolation?

Mark