[petsc-dev] Telescope usage

Dave May dave.mayhem23 at gmail.com
Mon May 16 18:43:06 CDT 2022

On Tue, 17 May 2022 at 00:12, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 16, 2022 at 9:59 AM Loic Gouarin <
> loic.gouarin at polytechnique.edu> wrote:
>
>> Le 16/05/2022 à 21:54, Barry Smith a écrit :
>>

>> On May 16, 2022, at 3:50 PM, Loic Gouarin <loic.gouarin at polytechnique.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Barry for your quick reply.
>> Le 16/05/2022 à 21:41, Barry Smith a écrit :
>>

>>   Loic,
>>
>>     From your code it looks like you are using a DM. Is it a DMDA or a
>> shell DM? If it is a DMDA then the process is intended to be pretty
>> straightforward. PCTELESCOPE should create a new DMDA that has the same
>> properties as the coarse grid DMDA but lives on a smaller number of ranks.
>> From this you can just provide multiple levels of coarsening of the DMDA to
>> produce the smaller multigrid problems.
>>
>> It's a DMDA. So what you mean is to take the KSP of PCTELESCOPE, get the
>> DM which is the same of the coarse grid and build all the levels as
>> previously for the levels of PCTELESCOPE ?
>>

>>   Yes, I think you should be able to pull out of the coarse level PC (on
>> the subset of ranks) a DM that and then setup coarse levels from that. But
>> you need to look at an example that that uses telescope and probably even
>> the telescope code itself to see all the details. I don't know them anymore.
>>
>> I looked at the source code but It didn't help. I will try to explain
>> more clearly my experiments to understand what I make wrong and you can
>> help more easily.
>>
>> Hi Loic!
>
> Here is my guess. When TELESCOPE redistributes the coarse grid DMDA, it
> creates a new DMDA and copies over all the information it can see. However,
> I think you may have state that is attached to the old DMDA that is not
> getting redistributed. If this is true, I can help you write a hook that
> redistributes that state when TELESCOPE maps between distributions.

If you have state you need to propagate between different communicators,
you will have to use the telescope type which is internally is referred to
as

TELESCOPE_COARSEDM

To activate this type you need the option

-pc_telescope_use_coarse_dm

Or to call PCTelescopeSetUseCoarseDM()
The assumptions of usng this options are described here
https://petsc.org/main/docs/manualpages/PC/PCTelescopeSetUseCoarseDM

and source associated with the COARSEDM
https://petsc.org/main/src/ksp/pc/impls/telescope/telescope_coarsedm.c.html

Using TELESCOPE_COARSEDM you will have access to the hooks Matt is
referring to.

Cheers,
Dave