[petsc-dev] Another SSP method

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Thu May 12 11:40:38 CDT 2022

You'll want to use the low-storage form. It's discussed in Ketcheson's paper; the method was originally discovered by Kraaijevanger 1991 and rediscovered by Spiter and Ruuth 2002. Note that the effective SSP coefficient is 0.302 while Ketcheson's rk104 has effective coefficient 0.6. As a result, you can take time steps 4x larger with rk104 using 10 stages per step. For most purposes, you'll prefer this over the 5-stage method. Feel free to add it.