[petsc-dev] MatMPIAIJGetLocalMat problem with GPUs

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Sat Jun 25 08:13:28 CDT 2022

On Fri, Jun 24, 2022 at 1:54 PM Barry Smith <bsmith at petsc.dev> wrote:

> On Jun 24, 2022, at 1:38 PM, Mark Adams <mfadams at lbl.gov> wrote:
>
> I am rearranging the code for clarity from the repo but I have:
>
>   PetscBool is_dev_ptrs;
>   PetscCall(MatMPIAIJGetLocalMat(Pmat, MAT_INITIAL_MATRIX, &amgx->localA));
>   PetscCall(PetscObjectTypeCompareAny((PetscObject)amgx->localA,
> &is_dev_ptrs, MATAIJCUSPARSE, MATSEQAIJCUSPARSE, MATMPIAIJCUSPARSE, ""));
>   PetscPrintf(PETSC_COMM_SELF,"*checking against mataijcusparse
> amgx->localA = %d*\n",is_dev_ptrs);
>   PetscCall(PetscObjectTypeCompareAny((PetscObject)Pmat, &is_dev_ptrs,
> MATAIJCUSPARSE, MATSEQAIJCUSPARSE, MATMPIAIJCUSPARSE, ""));
>   PetscPrintf(PETSC_COMM_SELF,"*checking against mataijcusparse Pmat = %d*
> \n",is_dev_ptrs);
>
> And it seems to show that MatMPIAIJGetLocalMat takes a mpiaijcusparse Mat
> and returns an seqaij mat (see below):
>

>  Yes, this is how it currently behaves as Stefano has indicated. Thus it
> is not currently directly suitable for use with GPUs. As Stefano has
> indicated it has be revised to handle mpiaijcusparse matrices correctly
> in the same way that MatMPIAIJGetLocalMatMerge has been revised for GPUs.

OK, sorry, I did not understand that this is not supported. We need a
MatMPIAIJCusparseGetLocalMatMerge (I read this as supported with "hstack"
format, unsorted?, by Stefano)

What is the best way to proceed? Should we just convert to amgx->localA
to mpiaijcusparse if Pmat is a cusparse matrix?
If so, should this code go in amgx or
MatMPIAIJGetLocalMat(MAT_INITIAL_MATRIX) ?
Or should I add a MatMPIAIJCusparseGetLocalMatMerge that simply wraps these
two calls for now?

Thanks,
Mark