[petsc-dev] PETSc future starting as a new design layer that runs on top of PETSc 3?

Jacob Faibussowitsch jacob.fai at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 11:31:30 CDT 2022

Responding to 2 things here:

> Jacob, would you consider VTK to be "Modern C++"? It was designed in the 90s and I think C++11 isn't widely used (architecturally) since it was first allowed a few years ago.

I don’t know, I have personally never interacted or read their codebase. Certainly any library that is pre-C++11 will have old C++ cruft. To give a counter-example, I would consider Kokkos or Thrust to be relatively modern C++ libraries.

> Does clang work with a high enough level of abstraction in its representation of C++ to map directly to Python classes, for example.

Sure, we can walk the Clang AST. But then we are in the business of writing a domain-specific language, and are firmly tied to a compiler. From my time writing the clang linter I am personally very comfortable with libclang but I can tell you that it:

A. Takes a while to get up to speed. AST closely align with the source but are not overly “friendly". As an example, try walking the AST backwards (to for example find wherever a variable is written to). You’ll find this is a monumental undertaking.
B. Many small idiosyncrasies to learn that are somewhat sparsely documented. There are also no real “examples” to copy/learn from.

> Does Python have any useful high-level representation that could be used so that we write in Python and generate from its representation?

Yes, Python exposes the “ast” module for direct introspection of Python code https://docs.python.org/3/library/ast.html. You can then use this to generate arbitrary code. Team green uses this in their WARP library (https://github.com/NVIDIA/warp) to generate CUDA kernels from python src. But doing so has enormous pitfalls, mostly to do with optimization. Python famously optimizes almost nothing because you can never be sure that an expression doesn’t have a side-effect.

Best regards,

Jacob Faibussowitsch
(Jacob Fai - booss - oh - vitch)