[petsc-dev] [Minor issue] Lag during PetscInitialize on Fedora 36 (never seen before with other OS)

LEDAC Pierre Pierre.LEDAC at cea.fr
Wed Jul 27 06:42:55 CDT 2022

Hello,

Recently migrated from Fedora34 to Fedora36, using PETSc I have some lag during the PetscInitialize, which

disappeared if I run again immediately the binary. But after few seconds, the lag happens again (see below).

I suspected MPICH 4.0.2 on Fedora36, but a small reproducer indicated the issue is not in MPI_Init but really during PetscInitialize

Just annoying during testing, not very important, but did someone already see this ?

Thanks,

portable: /volatile/ledacp/petsc/src/ksp/ksp/tests (main) > time ./ex39

real    0m3,593s
user    0m0,872s
sys    0m0,433s
portable: /volatile/ledacp/petsc/src/ksp/ksp/tests (main) > time ./ex39

real    0m0,310s
user    0m0,884s
sys    0m0,023s

# Wait ~20 seconds then again:

portable: /volatile/ledacp/petsc/src/ksp/ksp/tests (main) > time ./ex39

real    0m3,507s
user    0m0,897s
sys    0m0,025s
portable: /volatile/ledacp/petsc/src/ksp/ksp/tests (main) > time ./ex39

real    0m0,154s
user    0m0,725s
sys    0m0,015s
portable: /volatile/ledacp/petsc/src/ksp/ksp/tests (main) > time ./ex39

real    0m0,176s
user    0m0,875s
sys    0m0,021s

Pierre LEDAC
Commissariat à l’énergie atomique et aux énergies alternatives
Centre de SACLAY
DES/ISAS/DM2S/STMF/LGLS
Bâtiment 451 – point courrier n°43
F-91191 Gif-sur-Yvette