[petsc-dev] Using PETSC with GPUs

Rohan Yadav rohany at alumni.cmu.edu
Fri Jan 14 15:27:38 CST 2022

Hi,

I'm looking to use PETSc with GPUs to do some linear algebra operations,
like SpMV, SPMM etc. Building PETSc with `--with-cuda=1` and running with
`-mat_type aijcusparse -vec_type cuda` gives me a large slowdown from the
same code running on the CPU. This is not entirely unexpected, as things
like data transfer costs across the PCIE might erroneously be included in
my timing. Are there some examples of benchmarking GPU computations with
PETSc, or just the proper way to write code in PETSc that will work for
CPUs and GPUs?

Rohan