[petsc-dev] PetscUse/TryMethod

Lawrence Mitchell wence at gmx.li
Sun Apr 3 13:56:49 CDT 2022

On Sun, 3 Apr 2022 at 18:30, Barry Smith <bsmith at petsc.dev> wrote:

>   I think it is a great idea to test on publically available supported
> packages that have public git repositories and a decent testing
> infrastructure regularly and even feed any information that comes up to the
> packages team in advance. I can think of PFLOTRAN, FireDrake, and MOOSE as
> good starting candidates. I think we should help those teams add a switch
> to their test system to use PETSc main when appropriate, I don't think we
> should be adding such stuff inside the PETSc test world. Note that Slepc
> and HPDDM are already in the fold and this already takes place with them.

FWIW, we (firedrake) effectively track petsc main updating approximately
monthly (sometimes more frequently depending), so we've in fact never been
tieing ourselves to a petsc release cycle. We might move to a twice-yearly
release cycle in the next year or so, but would just use a point in the
sand for petsc, rather than relying on a petsc release in that case. We
have testing already in place (or coming soon, I think) to check if we
build with latest main and auto-fast-forwarding the branch pointer.

We're mostly inured to C API changes as long as the petsc4py interface
doesn't change at the same time.

Lawrence