[petsc-dev] [DocTip!] #2: Aiming for self-updating docs

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 13:14:51 CST 2021

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 12:36 PM Scott Kruger <kruger at txcorp.com> wrote:

> On 2021-11-06 11:12, Matthew Knepley did write:
> > On Sat, Nov 6, 2021 at 10:34 AM Patrick Sanan <patrick.sanan at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > I don't know what WEB is, but if you're saying that this is kinda
> clunky,
> > > yes it definitely is - my only contention is that it's better than
> > > copy-pasting code and output.  I'm not sure if there's an easier and/or
> > > better way with Sphinx.
> > >

> > WEB was the futuristic documentation idea of Don Knuth.
> >

> It never caught on (for good reasons IMO), but it is important
> historically and programmers should be aware of it:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literate_programming

Threadjack:

My major problem with WEB was that it in essence assumed that everything
was One Big Source File.
I tried documenting parts of PETSc with it in the 90s and I found that it
did not perform as well as sowing
because it really wanted one gigantic control flow, just like the
algorithms Knuth was presenting. Maybe
a combination of sowing and Web could bridge the gap.