[petsc-dev] links from manual pages to users manual

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Thu May 27 16:38:42 CDT 2021

Patrick Sanan <patrick.sanan at gmail.com> writes:

>>> This all depends on which approach we take to make the man pages better integrated. There are competing requirements so I think it'll have to be hashed out to find the correct compromise
>>>
>>> - we need to leave things for Sowing to generate Fortran stubs
>>> - we want to be able to write the man pages as .rst, like the rest of the Sphinx docs
>>
>> Or Markdown; see recent activity in this issue.
>>
>> https://github.com/executablebooks/MyST-Parser/issues/228#issuecomment-848505703 <https://github.com/executablebooks/MyST-Parser/issues/228#issuecomment-848505703>
>
> This is cool to know about - if I'm reading this correctly it's not ready for us to immediately adopt, but  I don't think you'll find many who like RST more than Markdown, so if there's a good chance to switch from RST to MyST at some point, I think it makes sense (say if there's a robust automatic rst-to-myst convertor, which seems to almost exist <https://github.com/executablebooks/rst-to-myst> now). My hesitancy to do it now comes from RST's privileged status as a the dumb default which you can google about,  and not wanting to incrementally introduce MyST because I fear that'll make things worse for people wanting to edit (two new things to learn, can't copy-paste things between the two).

I think it's ready for use (we use it in crikit.science) and I intend to convert libCEED using rst-to-myst as soon as this issue is resolved (or one of us can implement it):

https://github.com/executablebooks/rst-to-myst/issues/13

We have lots of equations and clean syntax is a huge selling point of MyST. It will also save us some hackery copying files around (which breaks the edit-this-page links).

https://myst-parser.readthedocs.io/en/latest/using/howto.html#include-a-file-from-outside-the-docs-folder-like-readme-md