[petsc-dev] Tag name v3.15

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Mar 31 09:54:21 CDT 2021

https://semver.org/

Given a version number MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH, increment the:

    MAJOR version when you make incompatible API changes,
    MINOR version when you add functionality in a backwards compatible manner, and
    PATCH version when you make backwards compatible bug fixes.
<<<<

For one - we don't strictly use semantic versions.

- Our PATCH versions have (some) new functionality [from above that should be MINOR]
- Our MINOR versions have lot more new functionality, with some incompatible API changes [this should be MAJOR - but we haven't changed that in a while]

Wrt v3.15.0 vs v3.15 I don't remember the exact reason. I suspect we
just stuck with this notation for a long time [and didn't want to
change it]

Also Barry still wants to use 'release' term only with v3.15 - and 3.15.1 etc as updates [but not releases]

Satish