[petsc-dev] Petsc "make test" have more failures for --with-openmp=1

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Fri Mar 19 13:20:33 CDT 2021

Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> writes:

>> Notice how the permutations are contained within the vertices {0, ..., 8},
>> edges {9, ..., 24}, and cells {25, ..., 32}. I would like to get rid of
>> that restriction, but you've said it would have significant non-local
>> consequences so I haven't tried.
>>

> Yes, that is not a good idea, even in theory. It wrecks the nice contiguity
> we use for topological operations.
>
> As Lawrence points out, this need not affect your smoother because dof
> permutations can break this stratification. It has been that way for a
> decade.

I only want to break dof stratification, not point stratification. The points produced by the stratified RCM are okay (at least as Lawrence described it; not sure how it's done in DMPlexGetOrdering, but can't be anything hard).

What code needs to be written to get unstratified RCM-like dofs? Lawrence evidently has this code in Firedrake, but I want it in DMPlex, tested and probably done by default because most users would benefit from it. I could swear you said it would break some other assumptions and thus not everything would work, but perhaps we weren't talking about the same thing.