[petsc-dev] Case TS005062693 - XLF: ICE in xlfentry compiling a module with 358 subroutines

Blaise A Bourdin bourdin at lsu.edu
Wed Mar 17 09:39:44 CDT 2021

On Mar 16, 2021, at 11:17 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at petsc.dev<mailto:bsmith at petsc.dev>> wrote:

  So it actually does not load everything at the call to use but waits until the subroutine definitions and then only loads what you ask to import?

  Sorry, this is odd, with C include or python import it immediately loads up everything as soon as it sees the include or import, there is no way later to say "wo hoarsy I didn't really mean you should get everything I asked, for please only load up a subset".

But then Fortran was always weird, when I saw presentations of the Fortran standards committee members I always felt like they read every third page of some computer science book but never realized they missed many of the pages.

Which proves that they know their target audience ;)

>From the standpoint of somebody who also read every third page of a computer science book, fortran modules sounded like a good idea on the paper (I basically think of them as auto-generated header files), but they are miserable in practice, and in particular a major block to cross compiler compatibility since the format of .mod file was left to the discretion of the compiler writers.

Blaise

--
A.K. & Shirley Barton Professor of  Mathematics
Adjunct Professor of Mechanical Engineering