[petsc-dev] plan to transition to new documentation and webpages?

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Mon Mar 8 00:02:22 CST 2021

  I think it is time to stop completely distributing docs with tarballs. Most people don't know they are there and how to access them so use google anyways.

  Also we should build release docs on release and main docs on main and forget the headaches of trying to put some new stuff in with the old.

  Then the only thing the tarball includes besides what is in git is the Fortran, petsc4py?  interfaces. Has there been any issues with sowing bfort support portability in many years?  petsc4py must need cpython, but does it need it for the tarball or is all of that pre-built when the tarball is made?

   I would advocate trying a release where the tarball is the git repository and see what happens. The current API says users would need to use --download-sowing but we could automatically turn that on if Fortran interfaces are requested. If we have tons of error reports with sowing we could revert and put the Fortran stubs back in. (Windows might be a problematic system).

   Time to clean house and simplify,

  Barry