[petsc-dev] 32 bit compilers and PETSc

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Wed Mar 3 22:49:17 CST 2021

   I just wasted an enormous amount of time "debugging"my additions to BAIJ on the solaris test machines. Turns out there was no bug at all just that the compilers default to 32 bit and we have no possible way of detecting size_t overflow; so smallish test cases can become a debugging nightmare.

   Can we make ./configure ban 32 bit compilers unless a special flag is used? And just have one CI test that uses 32 bit where we turn off examples that overflow 32 bits?