[petsc-dev] Commit squashing in MR

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Mar 2 21:36:30 CST 2021

On Wed, 3 Mar 2021, Blaise A Bourdin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is not technically a petsc question.
> It would be great to have a short section in the PETSc integration workflow document explaining how to squash commits in a MR for git-impaired developers like me.
>
> Anybody wants to pitch in, or explain me how to do this?

To squash commits - I use the 'squash' action in 'git rebase -i HASH' and figure out the HASH to use from 'gitk main..branch'

[as git rebase requires the commit prior to the first commit of interest]

git provides many ways of modifying the branch (and the rebase topic is very generic) so I think its best to rely on proper git docs/tutorials
[and its not really specific to petsc workflow]

Satish