[petsc-dev] Tom Cortese no longer at NCSA

tom cortese tcortese at illinoisalumni.org
Mon Jun 7 15:28:05 CDT 2021

Hello all,

While I have hardly ever posted to this PETSc developer's email list, I have been "lurking", and reading with interest, for the past several years.  Two jobs ago, when I was working as a DoD contractor for the PET program, I was installing PETSc on all sorts of platforms and operating systems (IBM, Cray, HP, etc...), and the PETSc team was very helpful in resolving bugs and other issues (I'm sure that I had access to a much wider variety of HPC systems than the PETSc developers did, and as a result I was able to shake out some bugs that might have remained uncovered for who knows how long).

After moving to NCSA, i only had one computer architecture to deal with - the marvelous Blue Waters - and I was no longer responsible for installing PETSc (someone at Cray did that, I think), but I would still occasinally support users who were using PETSc.

My five-year contract at NCSA just ran out, after eight years (the NSF kept extending my contract by additional one-year increments, because they were happy with the work that NCSA and Blue Waters were accomplishing), but a year or so ago the funding agency changed from NSF to NGA, and my contract was not renewed (sniff sniff).

So, please excuse me for asking this here (and if this is not the appropriate place, please re-direct me -- I absolutely don't want to be spamming anybody!), but I find myself looking for another position, and I was hoping that maybe something might be available at Argonne, and/or MCS, and/or PETSc.  I am mildly encouraged by the fact that a few other people I know are there (Victor Anisimov, JaeHyuk Kwack and I used to be in the same group at NCSA, and Scott Parker and I had the same advisor in Theoretical & Applied Mechanics at the University of Illinois).

Are there any openings?

Thanks,

       -Tom Cortese