[petsc-dev] [petsc-users] CUDA MatSetValues test

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Wed Jun 2 01:18:59 CDT 2021

  Switching the thread to petsc-dev since users don't need this.

  Had a nasty failure on one the CI, turned out the GPU colmap was declared as PetscInt* but it was copied down from the CPU into the GPU memory as int. The power of void* interface. Thus ex5cu.cu which was never CI tested was crashing very strangely. By declaring it properly as int* I got the example to run with 64 bit indices. Submitted a new pipeline to see what else pops up.

   I am a bit worried about the csr2csc data structures and code, one line declaring csr2csc_i inside the struct disappeared in the rebase on main, I stuck it in but don't understand that code at all. I'll report further when the CI is done or crashes. I will also need to make sure it is compiled pre and post PETSC_PKG_CUDA_VERSION_GE(11,0,0)

   I will also investigate this CTABLE business, the GPU doesn't need to know or care if the CPU is using a CTABLE or not; it just needs the colmap array format that it gets from spreading out the garray anyway to be copied to the GPU so PETSc can likely be built with CTABLES as normal; this will improve the testing a lot.

Barry