[petsc-dev] About parallel of ILU

Ed Bueler elbueler at alaska.edu
Tue Jan 12 12:29:04 CST 2021

At a practical level you may be looking for parallel ways to use
PETSc's native (but serial) ILU.  The simplest parallel extension is
processor-block Jacobi which applies ILU on the processor-owned degrees of
freedom but with no overlap:

-pc_type bjacobi -sub_pc_type ilu

The overlapping version is with ASM:

-pc_type asm -sub_pc_type ilu

where -pc_asm_overlap controls the overlap distance.  Finally one can use
the serial ILU as a smoother in geometric multigrid, for example in
combination with overlapping ASM:

-pc_type mg -mg_levels_pc_type asm -mg_levels_sub_pc_type ilu

Apologies if this was all assumed to be known in your original question.
Indeed, application of parallel direct solvers in PETSc often uses
hyper/mumps/superlu, though I'm not familiar with ILU in these packages.

Ed

Dear Professor,

--
Ed Bueler