[petsc-dev] DMPLEX cannot support two different edges for the same two vertices, hence DMPLEX cannot?

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Thu Dec 2 11:07:08 CST 2021

I have pushed a branch https://gitlab.com/petsc/petsc/-/merge_requests/4612 <https://gitlab.com/petsc/petsc/-/merge_requests/4612> that generates the same edge on two ranks and demonstrates the totally inappropriate PetscSF and vectors that are generated in this case (just look at the output file in the MR changes)

Thoughts on what we should do? I think Jed's idea of dummy vertices is very cumbersome and ugly unless it can be refined somehow. Is there a different way DMPLEX could be utilized to easily support multiple edges? Maybe not using DMPlexBuildFromCellListParallel(), but building the plex some other way? Note that it is clearly theoretically possible to have DMPlexBuildFromCellListParallel() detect a problem and error but I don't know how to do it.

Barry