[petsc-dev] DMPLEX cannot support two different edges for the same two vertices, hence DMPLEX cannot?

Betrie, Getnet gbetrie at anl.gov
Wed Dec 1 17:12:13 CST 2021

Here is a specific example. I have 10 global edges and 10 global vertices. The vertices and edges represent neurons and synapses in the brain, respectively. Vertices 0-7  and 7-9 have excitation and depression effect on the target vertices. The first rank owns 5 edges (0-4) and 6 vertices ( 0-4 local and 8 ghost). The second rank owns 5 edges (5-9) and 6 vertices (5-9 local and 4 ghost). Note that edges 4 (neuron 8 depresses neuron 4) and 8 (neuron 4 excite neuron 8) that share the same vertices on different ranks. The generated Plex is correct based on the cone and support outputs. However, the SF object is completely wrong as shown below. The first rank supposed to have 10 roots and one leaf (vertex 8), and the second rank suppose to have the same number of roots and leaf (vertex 4) as the first rank. My guess is something went wrong in sfPoint when determining the shared local vertices. I can provide more outputs from DMPlex if it helps, please let me know.

DM Object: 2 MPI processes
  type: network
  NSubnets: 1; NEdges: 10; NVertices: 10; NSharedVertices: 0.
  [0] nEdges: 5; nVertices: 6; nSharedVertices: 0
     Subnet 0: nEdges 5, nVertices(include shared vertices) 6
       edge 0: 4 ----> 0
       edge 1: 4 ----> 1
       edge 2: 4 ----> 2
       edge 3: 4 ----> 3
       edge 4: 8 ----> 4
  [1] nEdges: 5; nVertices: 6; nSharedVertices: 0
     Subnet 0: nEdges 5, nVertices(include shared vertices) 6
       edge 5: 4 ----> 5
       edge 6: 4 ----> 6
       edge 7: 4 ----> 7
       edge 8: 4 ----> 8
       edge 9: 4 ----> 9

Cones:
[0] Max cone size: 2
[0]: 0 <---- 9 (0)
[0]: 0 <---- 5 (0)
[0]: 1 <---- 9 (0)
[0]: 1 <---- 6 (0)
[0]: 2 <---- 9 (0)
[0]: 2 <---- 7 (0)
[0]: 3 <---- 9 (0)
[0]: 3 <---- 8 (0)
[0]: 4 <---- 10 (0)
[0]: 4 <---- 9 (0)
[1] Max cone size: 2
[1]: 0 <---- 5 (0)
[1]: 0 <---- 6 (0)
[1]: 1 <---- 5 (0)
[1]: 1 <---- 7 (0)
[1]: 2 <---- 5 (0)
[1]: 2 <---- 8 (0)
[1]: 3 <---- 5 (0)
[1]: 3 <---- 9 (0)
[1]: 4 <---- 5 (0)
[1]: 4 <---- 10 (0)

PetscSF Object: 2 MPI processes
  type: basic
  [0] Number of roots=11, leaves=2, remote ranks=1
  [0] 9 <- (1,5)
  [0] 10 <- (1,9)
  [1] Number of roots=11, leaves=0, remote ranks=0
  [0] Roots referenced by my leaves, by rank
  [0] 1: 2 edges
  [0]    9 <- 5
  [0]    10 <- 9
  [1] Roots referenced by my leaves, by rank
  MultiSF sort=rank-order