[petsc-dev] DMPLEX cannot support two different edges for the same two vertices, hence DMPLEX cannot?

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Wed Dec 1 15:51:36 CST 2021

  It may not happen with one rank. Or it may.

  With more than one rank one may run a code and think it is working correctly but that does not mean the PetscSF is correct. It is generating "extra" degrees of freedom for these vertices each associated with a different edge and not properly connecting them. You can tell by doing a full DMView on the dmplex and PetscSF and seeing more roots than there should be listed. Hence the numerics will be wrong even though it does not crash or complain.