[petsc-dev] Statistics on the popularity of PETSc

Jacob Faibussowitsch jacob.fai at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 16:40:06 CDT 2020

>  So we could say roughly 3% of brew OpenMPI users use PETSc ?  Pretty low.

If you’re inferring petsc user base through brew packages, I would argue that these aren’t really all that representative save from direct dependency download. So mumps etc likely wouldn’t correlate well since its not listed as a direct dependency for the petsc package.

Theres also the question of whether the counters on the dependencies are even useful to begin with. I suspect it’s probably more common that users clone petsc and then use a combination of package-manager packages and —with-download configure options.

Best regards,

Jacob Faibussowitsch
(Jacob Fai - booss - oh - vitch)
Cell: (312) 694-3391