[petsc-dev] Scaling test with ex13 (snes)

Stefano Zampini stefano.zampini at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 14:33:04 CDT 2020

> On Oct 3, 2020, at 9:12 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Oct 3, 2020 at 1:49 PM Stefano Zampini <stefano.zampini at gmail.com <mailto:stefano.zampini at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     There is a MATPARTITIONINGHIERARCH (man page) that Fande provided that helped scaling up problems he was working on significantly.
>
>    Barry
>
> The scaling issue with DMPlex is the one-to-all pattern of communication that happens when distributing an original sequential mesh. MATPARTITIONINGHIERARCH won't fix the issue.
> In order to get reasonable performances when distributing a sequential mesh on a large number of processes, you need at least two stages of partitioning: an initial one from the sequential mesh to a mesh with one process per node, migrate the PLEX data, then partition on each node separately, and migrate the data again.
>
> Just to make sure I understand completely, You partition a serial mesh (SELF) onto one process per node (1PROC), and then refine, and repartition the new mesh onto the whole machine (WORLD). Thus I
> need three communicators, right? And also a method, for moving a Plex on a subcomm onto the larger comm, using 0 parts on the new ranks.

This is how the loop over stages looks like in pseudo code

DMPlexDistributeML(DM,overlap,SF* migration, DM *newdm)
For i  = 0 : nstages
  DMPlexGetPartitioner(dm,&p)
  PartitionerSetStage(p,i)
  DMPlexDistribute(dm,0,&sft,&dmt);
  SFCompose(sf,sft)
  dm = dmt;
  If (I = nstages and overlap > 1) DMPlexDistributeOverlap
end

I thought about including the refinement step within the stages, but it turns out it is not doable now if you want to get back a migration sf which is usable (and we need it to migrate our data)
For a general solution, we need hooks for migrating user-defined data and to generate user-defined data while refining.

The partitioner is defined with a series of MPI_Groups that identify the various processes involved per stage. But the temporary meshes that are generated in the loop are always defined on the same global communicator.