[petsc-dev] Configure --download-eigen hangs

Jacob Faibussowitsch jacob.fai at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 12:11:51 CDT 2020

Hello all,

Trying to install pragmatic using petsc, which requires Eigen package. I am installing these packages using arch/lib/petsc/conf/reconfigure —download-eigen —download-pragmatic. This is as far as it gets:

/reconfigure-64-arch-darwin-c-debug.py --download-eigen
             Configuring PETSc to compile on your system
Trying to download git://https://gitlab.com/libeigen/eigen for EIGEN                     ===============================================================================
Configuring EIGEN with cmake, this may take several minutes                                   ===============================================================================

I have let this run for ~30 minute periods 3 times and it never progresses. I think that it does finish configure, but never progresses to the make stage.

I have checked htop (brew version of top) and the only relevant processes running are bash with ~5% CPU. This is less robust but on my setup the window bar (where the close, minimize, etc buttons are) of the terminal window also reports the currently running process and this also only shows bash. For reference when configure is running normally, the top bar switches between clang, ld, expr, cmake, g++, etc. System resources used usually shoots up to ~40-90% as it gets into the different configures and makes for each package.

I have tried this on 2 different petsc configurations; --with-64-bit-indices=0/1, since this originally didn’t work with 64 bit indices so I figured that may be the issue. I have also cleared my ccache completely using ccache -c -C and rerun both configures.

I have attached both configure.logs, note configure.log —> —with-64-bit-indices=1, configure.log.bkp —> —with-64-bit-indices=0

Best regards,

Jacob Faibussowitsch
(Jacob Fai - booss - oh - vitch)
Cell: (312) 694-3391