[petsc-dev] ccache tips?

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Fri Jan 17 15:13:16 CST 2020

"Balay, Satish" <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

> I guess you can just create links [from mpicc to ccache] instead of
> these wrapper scripts in these locations - with the same ccache
> performance?

I don't because I have multiple mpicc at different paths.

> And with the scripts [mpicc/mpicxx links to ccache] in PATH - you
> don't need --with-mpi-dir [and mpiexec/include/lib work-around]

Sure, but then it's global (all calls to gcc or clang are processed via
ccache).  Probably harmless, but may needlessly flush your cache.

> Also is there an advantage to have mpicc linked to ccache instead of
> gcc? [I guess having both linked to ccache will result in duplicate
> ccache searches for the same command?]

I want the precision of gcc with/without ccache and (OMPI or MPICH)
mpicc with/without ccache.  Other solutions are good if you just want
ccache all the time.