[petsc-dev] Bash tool for handling switching between multiple PETSc branches and configures

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Mon Jan 6 23:36:50 CST 2020

"Smith, Barry F." <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

>   I think they just have the wrong algorithms in their compilers for
>   modules, I don't think there is anything fundamental to the language
>   etc that requires that portion of the build to be so slow.

Yeah, I think there just hasn't been enough attention to compilation
performance.  But the dependencies don't help.

>   Also gmake doesn't do a good job of making it easy to get overlap
>   between building the Fortran modules and compiling the C; in some
>   experiments I could get some overlap and better times but it was
>   cumbersome so I gave up.

Hmm, I usually see FC lines starting early in my build output, but they
need to be built in sequence so it amounts to a very long pole.

If we can reduce the problem of slow compilation to something a compiler
author can work on, we should file a bug report.