[petsc-dev] using typedef for each different memory space the variable lives in

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Sun Dec 13 15:34:33 CST 2020

> On Dec 13, 2020, at 8:39 AM, Mark Adams <mfadams at lbl.gov> wrote:
>
> So how do I declare
>
> struct myMat {
>  PetscScalar *a;
>  PetscInt        *i, *j, nrows;
> }
>
> so that I can use, or give me an alternative idiom,
>
> struct myMat h_mat, *d_mat;
> cudaMemcpy(          d_mat,   &h_mat,  sizeof(myMat),  cudaMemcpyHostToDevice))

   This will copy the pointers (not the entries in the arrays) which means in both d_mat and h_mat a and i,j refer to Kokkos (or CUDA etc) memory so

> struct myMat {
>  PetscKokkosScalar *a;
>  PetscKokkosInt        *i, *j;
   PetscInt                    nrows;

> }

   the nrows is annoying because in d_mat it refers to device memory while in h_mat it refers to host memory so we cannot label it clearly.

   Sorry, by code reader I meant someone reading or maintaining the code.

   To me the above struct is clearer, I know immediately that *a and *i, *j point to Kokkos space. While labeled as PetscScalar *a I have to figure out somehow by examining other code where it points (this is a waste of time I think).