[petsc-dev] using typedef for each different memory space the variable lives in

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Sat Dec 12 10:46:08 CST 2020

Barry Smith <bsmith at petsc.dev> writes:

>    Currently we use PetscScalar and PetscScalar * to refer to variables that could be in any memory space. On the CPU, on the GPU, in Kokkos, etc.
>
>    Would it make sense to use typedef to indicate at each location the true type of the memory location when possible?
>
>    typedef PetscReal PetscKokkosReal   means the variable is in the Kokkos memory space
>    typedef PetscReal PetscCUDAReal
>    typedef PetscReal PetscNVSHEMReal

There's no safety here. I suppose you could do a struct to prevent implicit conversion

typdef struct {PetscReal val;} PetscCUDAReal;

but even this doesn't enforce the invariant.

I think the distinction only makes sense for boxed values/arrays. If you ever have a value, it's in your memory space, but it matters when you dereference a pointer.

A question is how you'd convert. Presumably it requires a cudaMemcpy, so you'd want the array length to be part of the type and some light interfaces to do the conversions.

Some mapping of values to device memory can be piggy-backed on kernel launches so I'm not sure that requiring up-front conversion is the right approach (effectively adding one or more cudaMemcpy to the critical path).