[petsc-dev] PETSc issue I cannot post combine WaitForCUDA(); inside PetscLogGpuTimeEnd();

Karl Rupp rupp at iue.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Aug 29 00:16:50 CDT 2020

>    Karl,
>
>     When synchronization is turned on the precious GPU kernels should
> always have their own WaitForDevice(), so are you concerned about buggy
> code that does not include WaitForDevice?

I'm primarily thinking of user callback routines here. For example, a
FormFunction provided by the user that is running some GPU kernels. We
have no guarantee that these user kernels have completed before entering
the timed sections inside PETSc, so the logs will be skewed to report an
unusually slow kernel in PETSc (the one right after the user form
function). Arguably we could add a WaitForDevice() after user callback
invocations.

I didn't think of the WaitForDevice() after each kernel call in PETSc;
with that we do get reasonable timings within PETSc (except for the user
callbacks mentioned above), so the two-barrier model is not needed.

Best regards,
Karli