[petsc-dev] MacOS firewall annoyance while running tests + solution

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Fri Aug 28 21:39:58 CDT 2020

> On Aug 28, 2020, at 3:47 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:
>
> "Hapla  Vaclav" <vaclav.hapla at erdw.ethz.ch> writes:
>
>> On MacOS, maybe you also have lots of firewall popups appearing/disappearing when running tests like
>>  Do you want the application "ex29" to accept incoming network connections?
>
> Is there a way to express that the application does not need (should not accept) incoming connections?

  Yes, this also seems to work:

sudo $$FW --block $$APP

instead of

sudo $$FW --unblock $$APP

The parallel program still runs correctly to conclusion without the popup.

 When I run in the debugger the popup doesn't come up until after I pass the break point for listen.

 The program has an undocumented option -a <listen or accept> when you run with

sudo /usr/libexec/ApplicationFirewall/socketfilterfw -d -a accept

it prints ASKWHENACCEPT  which seems to indicate it will delay the popup until an accept is called but I can't confirm this because the debugger never stops in accept on one process but the popup still comes up so this argument may not work as I would expect.

There are strings in socketfilterfw

AKSWHENLISTEN
ASKWHENACCEPT
ASKWHENCONNECTOUT