[petsc-dev] Pause-for-approval Pipelines?

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Aug 27 17:08:22 CDT 2020

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020, Jed Brown wrote:

> Barry Smith <bsmith at petsc.dev> writes:
>
> >> - readdocs pipeline
> >> - merge-pipeline - auto starts - does the pre stage and pauses.
> >
> > how are they related?
>
> Not at all.   The ReadTheDocs pipeline is managed by readthedocs.org.
>
> > I understood Jed wanted the readdocs pipeline done automatically so it was easy to review any readthedocs changes since the properly formatted new docs with the changes was made automatically in the MR and pushes. I am fine with this, though it seems silly to always do it instead of not just doing it when there is a change to docs or maybe a docs label. Just curious, is this done with a merge to master ?
>
> We don't have control at that granularity.  We can disable the feature, but then we don't have a good way to review changes there.  I want to make writing and reviewing documentation changes as low friction as possible (because our docs, especially the manual, are pretty low quality and often out of date).
>
> I figure if ReadTheDocs feels like they're wasting too much compute, they can add a finer grained control.

Right now its messed up.

https://gitlab.com/petsc/petsc/-/issues/360#note_402053765

- it leaves pipelines in runnining [and readthedocs job in puased state]
- sometimes it creates a new pipeline - and sometimes it attaches itself as 6th stage of a prior pipeline
- it flags the MR as success - eventhough the the regular pipeline is not run.

So its best to disable until these issues are resolved.

And I think merge-pipeline feature is taking blame for some of these issues.

Satish