[petsc-dev] Feed back on report on performance of vector operations on Summit requested

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Oct 23 19:15:09 CDT 2019

IMO, Figures 2 and 7+ are more interesting when the x axis (vector size)
is replaced by execution time.  We don't scale by fixing the resource
and increasing the problem size, we choose the global problem size based
on accuracy/model complexity and choose a Pareto tradeoff of execution
time with efficiency (1/cost) to decide how many nodes to use.  Most of
those sloping tails on the left become vertical lines under that
transformation.

How is latency defined in Figure 6?

Data upon which the latency-bandwidth model is derived should be plotted
to show the fit, and the model needs to be constrained to avoid negative
latency.

If you give me access to the repository with data and current plotting
scripts, I can take a crack at slicing it in the way that I think would
be useful.