[petsc-dev] BlockGetIndices and GetBlockIndices

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Oct 20 23:39:33 CDT 2019

> On Oct 16, 2019, at 9:41 AM, Stefano Zampini via petsc-dev <petsc-dev at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
> I just took a look at the ISGENERAL code. ISSetBlockSize_General just sets the block size of the layout (??)
> ISGetIndices always return the data->idx memory.
> So, a more profound question is: what is the model behind setting the block size on a ISGENERAL? And on a IS in general?

   I still don't understand why IS even has a layout so I was lost long ago.

   ISSetBlockSize_*() appear to be complete gibberish for ISGeneral, ISBlock, and ISStride!

   Seems insane, ISGetBlockIndices/ISRestoreBlockIndices() should not only not exist the entire absurd SSetBlockSize() concept should be removed.

   Barry